Slide to Learn

As a teacher of year 6/7/8 Maths and Science, I am really interested in the use of touch technology in those classes. David Wetzel's Blog "Teach Science and Math" has posts of interest including;

1. Tips and tricks for Podcasting
2.Podcasting in Maths and Science classes
3. How to Integrate podcasting into Science and Maths classes

Marshall's Blog, "Get Real Science" has a post on "Using an ipod touch in an Inquiry Based Science"

Mr. Robbo - "The PE Geek" - writes about "New and Old ideas" including using mobile devices for outdoor education.

Dan Meyer, an innovative maths teacher, is currently doing a doctoral fellowship at Stanford University. His student challenges sound like a lot of fun.

Wired Science writes about "22 iPhone apps for Science Geeks" - not all suitable for high school students.

I wrote about some of the free maths and science apps on my blog back in April, but gee, have I learnt a lot since then!

If you have used iPods in maths and science I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below.

Tags: maths, science

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just thought of a good activity for the beginning of term 3 for classes using the iPod Touch. Find 4 apps that help you learn Maths. Take a screen shot of each app. Use the screen shots in sonic pics and tell how the apps help you learn. Share this with others by emailing it to our blog at ..........@.............................

Have you seen MathTrain? Eric Maros is the teacher. http://mathtrain.com/

the actual link is http://www.mathtrain.tv/

The video ideas are great to use with the iPods as learning resources and give good example of what students can create for the iPods. Video lessons on hand can very a quick way to help students when there are 25 all wanting you. However creating the videos is the most powerful for students to learn. Remember we learn most when we teach. (and correct)
There are some Maths apps where students are given the answers and have to correct BrainTuner is one and another I like for number facts practice is FlowMath as it also gives the answer and you choose the factors.
Hi Britt,

When it comes to Science and Maths, I believe the real strengths for us as educators is the ability to put these devices (which act as a housing for a multitude of tools) in the hands of our students and let them investigate the world with them.

I know you came to the session that Megan and I ran on Arts, Science and Humanities and heard and experienced what we had to say regarding their relevance for Science but I thought I would reiterate some of the things we said for the benefit of people who didn't come. Hope that this is OK?

Just looking at some of the basic functions that come standard on an iPod touch you have:
1) Notes - a great way for students to take notes or write observations;
2) Voice Memo - combine this with a small microphone such as a Thumbtack mic and you have a terrific way for a student to record their observations as they do an experiment or record sounds they hear on an excursion or even create their own pod cast about a concept they have learnt;
3) Use the multimedia capabilities to do things like watch videos that have been podcast;
4) Use the clock app to time events;
5) Calculator app - can be used as a simple calculator with basic functions (hold the iPod touch in portrait) or as a scientific calculator (by holding in landscape).

And then there are some of the apps that are available:
6) Simulate chemical experiments - eg Titration Sim allows you to simulate and acid base titration (which you would then follow up with the action experiment);
7) Use apps that combine features of simulated gravity with problem solving (eg Paper Toss or Crayon Physics) to investigate the cyclic nature of scientific method. Again, follow the virtual with solving the same problems in the physical world.
8) Use reference apps to discover scientific facts and theories. (Eg The Chemical Touch or Various scientific glossaries).

Every day more iPod touch content is added to the iTunes store. If you combine this with the availability of content that can be legally used from sources outside the iTunes store and with content created by the student and/or teacher the possibilities for the use of these devices in Science is growing rapidly all of the time.

It's an exciting time to be an educator!

Cheers
Kate
Thanks Kate, you have provided a really good summary of the very versatile uses of iPod Touch in science and maths. I am really excited about the potential for student-created content using these devices as well as their multi-functionality (oops - is that a real word?).

I am hoping my Year 8 science class will create digital stories for the "60-Second Science" competition and my Year 6/7 groups will work on their "Solar System and Beyond"

RSS

Latest Activity

Nicky Wallace is now a member of Slide to Learn
Wednesday
Tracy Sleeman liked Louise Cimetta's page S2L 2015
Nov 12
Danni is now a member of Slide to Learn
Nov 11
Laura Bismark is now a member of Slide to Learn
Nov 7

Photos

Loading…